KISSING EYES MAGAZINE

KISSING EYES MAGAZINE.Photography.Art.Music

Leo Postma
















































Where are you from/based now?

I'm based in Delft, a small village in the smoke of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. It's central, within the hour I get in the center of every bigger city of Holland. But many of my photos are also across Europe.


What is your background in Photography? What got you started?

I don't really know what my background should be, other then my mom gave me a camera at the age of 10, so I started to take photos of my friends skating etc. The subjects and equipment have grown with age I suppose. My brother and me started to take lot's of photos and it started to get more serious along the way.
I'm studying fine art right now, with photography at it's basis.


What equipment do you use?

I almost only use my mamiya 7, because its easy to take with you. And the 6x7 format is good affordable quality. Sometimes i use a hasselblad 503 if the subject needs it, but it also often witch one i got by hand. I'm always planning to use the large format camera more but it's heavy and expensive.


What is your creative process? Do you have a planned approach or is it more spontaneous?

I always start to take photos (I already started once) and then there's one that doesn't fit in a series but it got me thinking, so I try to find places that can make a series together. So I roll from one series in to the other and often I take a photo afterwards that fits with a series from before. I hope it's a never ending story.
I take my camera along and try make as much trips as possible. Try to pass places that would be fit for photos.
I analyze what i've done and try to make work from there.


What drives you to keep taking photographs?

The first drive was getting better, getting more attention for my photos. After that getting reviews and selling, but the best drive is the amount of people who are seeing the photos, visiting my website etc.
Nowadays mostly the conversations I get with a wide viarity of people.


Who or what inspires you?

Of course I get inspiration from famous photographers such as Martin Parr, Alec Soth, Thomas Ruff etc. I've also met some good photographers through flickr, in the past. Who've kept me going back. But the best inspiration would be the photos I just missed. I travel a lot because it gives me time to think. If you see something from a train you're always to late but you got lot's of time to think about why you would have taken that picture.


Are you working on a project at the moment?

I'm working on a project based on objects, objects who've lost their meaning in there surroundings.
For the first time I've started with a title and based a series on it. There were other assignments where I needed to collect a few headlines from the papers and there was one that caught my attention. "Tussen cowboy's nazi's en planten" That would be "Between cowboys nazi's and plants" or "among Cowboys nazi's and plants" in english. Both are fine. I started to make suggestions that could stand in between those 3 and that's a lot. The first draft of the series will be posted on my website soon, or maybe it's just been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment