KISSING EYES MAGAZINE

KISSING EYES MAGAZINE.Photography.Art.Music

Harry Griffin





















































What is your background in Photography? What keeps you interested?


My grandfather is a filmmaker and I became interested in photography through cinema. I wanted to train my eye but it turned into something far more than a hobby. The language of photography speaks differently than cinema. However, I feel they understand one another.


What equipment do you use?

I use a 4x5 view camera, a Canon 5D, and an iPhone 5.


What is the first photo you see when you wake up?

My partners face through the filter of yellow drapes


Do you take one shot of a subject then move on or will you take several and decide on the best in editing?

It depends on the camera, and what I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes I make multiple images of a picture and sometimes I barely catch a moment before it's gone. Sometimes I have to go back and recreate a picture because the first try failed.


What draws you to a project? Do you start with a good idea of what you want to achieve or is it a more spontaneous?

Generally I find projects through spontaneity. I make pictures until I notice a trend, and then start bringing them together.


Could you tell us a bit about your series 'Gold Coast'. How did it come about?

I've been photographing my grandparents since I took my first photography class in community college, almost 7 years ago. It was always something I did more as an archive then work to exhibit. A lot of factors seemingly unrelated brought me to create Gold Coast. Only until recently did I make the decision to create a project revolving around them. Their willingness to perform for my camera is something I treasure.


If you could spend a day shooting with another photographer, who would it be?

My partner, Eva O'Leary. She's my favorite photographer. We both worked equally on a collaboration called Devil's Den and it was some of the most fun I've ever had making pictures.


Is there a particular photographer, site, set of images or a photo book that you keep coming back to for inspiration?

Always Evidence, by Sultan and Mandel. It's definitely the kind of book that changed my life. More than looking at photography, I watch films. Two of my favorite contemporary filmmakers are Jeff Nichols and Derek Cianfrance. Visually, those films remind me of one failure in photography (Tarkovsky called it 'sculpting in time')


Are you working on a project at the moment?

I'm still working on Gold Coast, Devil's Den w/ Eva, and CONVENTION. Once those are over I'm going to work on a spin-off series from Gold Coast, about my fathers invention.


No comments:

Post a Comment