KISSING EYES MAGAZINE

KISSING EYES MAGAZINE.Photography.Art.Music

Will Olmsted
























































Where are you from/based now?

I'm from/based in Warren, Maine. 99.9% of my photos are taken within a few miles of my house.


What is your background in Photography? What keeps you interested?

I took a black and white photography class my sophomore year of high school. For a few years I took a lot of bad pictures, then I didn't touch a camera for two years. In December of 2012 I picked up a camera again.

The work of talented people is what really keeps me interested, but I like the way my own pictures interact and play off the world as I remembered it.


What equipment do you use?

I use a Mamiya 7 and an Olympus Om-2n. Sometimes I break out a Canon Rebel Xti.


Do you take one shot of a subject then move on or will you take several and decide on the best in editing?

Usually I just take one considered shot.


What do you look for when you are out shooting?

Something that catches my eye for a reason that is hidden from me at the time, something that can potentially fit in a body of work, something that I can't imagine as a photograph, something I want to record for seventy year old me.


How often do you go out shooting?

Usually I walk ten-ish miles once a week and the camera comes with me. It is common to not take a picture though. Sometimes I see something in the backyard, or the store parking lot. Shooting isn't really a regular thing for me, it is more like something that might happen.


Is there a particular photographer, site, set of images or a photo book that you keep coming back to for inspiration?

You would get a different answer depending on the day you asked.

Lars Tunbjork's Vinter was one of my first photo books and I keep coming back to it.

Gregory Halpern's A is terrific.

Stacy Kranitz scares me.

Jean Gaumy's Pleine mer.


Are you working on a project at the moment?

I think I just finished a project, but I'm not sure. Might move to Vegas and start a new one.

Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment