KISSING EYES MAGAZINE

KISSING EYES MAGAZINE.Photography.Art.Music

Scott Binkley










 































Where are you from/based now?

I was born in Santa Rosa, CA. I currently live in Vancouver, Washington.


What is your background in Photography? What keeps you interested?

I pretty much learned everything I've come to know through trial and error and while looking at photo books. Years ago, I dabbled in photography, primarily with a borrowed or disposable camera while traveling across country. Photography became a larger part of my life when a friend showed me how to develop film in my kitchen. My interest in taking pictures is maintained through the unfamiliar places and people my camera introduces me too. The images themselves often become nothing more than secondary artifacts. That said, it is gratifying to produce keepers from time to time.


What equipment do you use?

I've been using a Mamiya 7II for the last year or so. I also have a Leica I like to shoot with, but it hasn't seen much use since picking up the Mamiya.


What do you look for when you are out shooting? What draws you to a project?

Lately I've been making an effort to find more open space. I'm also looking for interesting people to shoot. Old cars always capture my attention, but I'm getting better at telling myself no when I see them. Not that there is anything wrong with car pictures. I just feel like I have taken my share.


Is there a particular photographer, site, set of images or a photo book that you keep coming back to for inspiration?

William Eggleston's freezer image is the first image I saw that made me think photography could be interesting. I'm still a fan of his work. Stephen Shore's American Surfaces is a photo book I like to revisit. I also like the work of Birney Imes. I guess they all have a similar thing going. I belong to a couple Portland based photo groups, so there's often an opportunity to become inspired by my peers.


Are you working on a project at the moment?

I have a couple things going. One of them has been in a state of perpetual limbo for a couple years. The other involves doing a careful edit of pictures taken while traveling around the region with a group of friends over summer.


Are you exhibiting at the moment? Do you have any plans to exhibit more in the near future.

I currently have work in a drawer at Blue Sky in Portland, OR. One of the photo groups I belong to is the Portland Grid Project, and we have an upcoming group show at the 12x16 Gallery in Portland, OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment