KISSING EYES MAGAZINE

KISSING EYES MAGAZINE.Photography.Art.Music

Christopher Nunn































































Where are you from/based now?


I’m based in Yorkshire in the north of England but I work all over and travel quite a bit.


What is your background in Photography? What keeps you interested?

I studied photography years ago and then had a long break from it. I got into it properly during the last 5 years and most of it was self taught. Life in general keeps me interested. There are always things I want to explore.


What equipment do you use?

Digital SLR’s or medium format film. I don’t care about cameras, I just use what I know and what works. There are so many more important things involved in the process of working than the tool.


What do you look for when you are out shooting? What draws you to a project?

Almost everything I’ve done starts with a personal connection and then I keep going, deeper and deeper into the story. I don’t really plan projects too much, as I think it’s important for the story to naturally develop. Life is bizarre and unpredictable and to try and plan things too much can be limiting. It’s hard to say what I look for specifically. I think as photographers it’s based on everything we know, every book we read or film we watched, every photograph we looked at and everything we did in our lives. All those things make up how we see the world, and that becomes our style.


Is there a particular photographer, site, set of images or a photo book that you keep coming back to for inspiration?

It depends on what I’m working on or what mood I’m in. Off the top of my head I recently bought Tranquility by Heikki Kaski and DIE MAUER IST WEG! by Mark Power, both of which I thought were really incredible books. I always seem to come back to Alec Soth because I love what he does and how he evolves over his different projects. I’m a big fan of Boris Mikhailov and Alexander Checkmenev. I go through phases where I look at lots of photography and then phases where I don’t look at anything.


Are you working on a project at the moment?

I’m working on some long term projects in Ukraine, and starting some research on a project here in Yorkshire which is in it’s very early stages. After a break of almost two years I am hoping to make some new images for my series Falling into the Day.


Are you exhibiting at the moment? Do you have any plans to exhibit more in the near future.

I have no immediate exhibition plans, but I’m working on a new publication which should be out in a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment